Job Title: Controller
FLSA Code: Exempt
Reports to: CEO, CPA
Job Purpose: Development of financial procedures and internal controls as well as daily hands on accounting, as well as reconciliation and preparation of monthly financial statements and reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for preparation of financial statements, month-end, and year-end closing processes.
· Supervision of A/R, A/P, and primary responsibility for the general ledger.
· Maintains chart of accounts, prepares all month end journal entries and general ledger reconciliations.
· Prepares required regulatory reporting and internal reports.
· Researches inventory cost variances to standard on a monthly basis.
· Budgeting and forecasting.
· Cash Management.
· Other duties as assigned.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Remains open to other’s ideas and tries new things and shares expertise with others. Gives and welcomes feedback while applying feedback to improve performance. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Works with integrity and ethically.
- Adheres to Company Policies and Procedures while upholding organizational values.
- Displays willingness to make decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Supports and explains reasoning decisions and includes appropriate people in decision-making process. Makes timely decisions.
- Measures self against standard of excellence; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Reacts well under pressure; Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Treats people with respect and consideration.
- Meets productivity standards; Strives to increase productivity; Completes tasks correctly and on time; Uses time efficiently; Aligns work with strategic goals; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Displays orientation to profitability
- Observes safety and security procedures; uses equipment and materials properly; reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Is consistently at work and on time and commits to long hours of work when necessary to achieve company needs and objectives.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Bachelor' s degree with course work emphasis in Accounting or Finance; supplemented by five (5) years previous experience and/or training involving full charge accounting, accounts receivable accounts payable, and personal computer operations.
Language Skills: Proficient in English, written and verbal.
Mathematical Skills: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to deal with problems involving few concrete variables in standardized situations. Exceptional organizational skills required. Ability to recognize and resolve problems quickly using sound judgment and diplomacy.
Computer Skills: Ability to operate all Microsoft office programs. Experience with Sage, Peachtree, Apparel Business Systems (ABS), or similar GL Software experience.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time. The employee is frequently required to work on a computer screen. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not design to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and other common office equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quite to moderate.